Hill View
Saturday, September 21, 2019
Baptist Church

Robbing The Owner

Wednesday, November 04, 2015 View Comments Comments (0)
 

“And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”  2 Corinthians 9:8

God is able, according to our text, because He is the owner.  1 Corinthians 10:26 says, “For the earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof.”  This is a quote from Psalm 24:1 which says, “The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof, the world and those who dwell there in.”  Not only does the earth belong to God, but you and I also belong to Him as we dwell on His planet.

The interesting thing about our giving and gracious God is how His economy works.  In Christ we are actually doubly His.  We read in 1 Corinthians 6 that we are to flee from sexual immorality because our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and the Apostle Paul says in v.20, “for you were bought with a price.”  Again in 1 Corinthians 7 we are told to live our out calling because v.23, “you were bought with a price.”

With the established fact that God is the owner of all we come to the conclusion that we are not the owner, but merely stewards of God’s blessings.  The point is that all blessings come down from heaven.  Especially as we think of Jesus Christ who came down from heaven into this world to be the sacrifice for our sin and the Savior of the world.  However, we often think that our blessings come from our business, our hard work, or the harvest of our own labor.  God says, “No, blessings don’t come from the creation up.  Blessings come from the creator down.”

If these two established facts are true then actually when we fail to give our full tithes and offerings we are guilty of embezzlement.  If you think about it, embezzlement is defined as, “the appropriation of money or assets entrusted to one’s care fraudulently for one’s own use.”  According to our text God has given us all that we need so that in all things we can abound in every good work.

To illustrate this it would be like a landowner saying to a farmer, “I will let you farm this land for 10% of your crops.  You keep the other 90%.”  Now that’s a pretty generous deal because he could’ve said, “You get 10% and I’ll take the other 90%.”  However, after harvest if the farmer doesn’t give 10% of the crops to the landowner then we would all agree that the farmer is robbing the owner, no matter the reasoning for his failure to pay.

Malachi 3:9-10 says, “You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me, the whole nation of you. 10 Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need.”  What God is saying is, “I’ve invested and you’re not responding rightly.  I won’t invest anymore until you change your mind because I’m not changing mine.  The solution is bring the ‘full tithe,’ and I’ll pour down a blessing from heaven.”

God is telling us to make good on our giving, to give what we are supposed to and the result will be our realization that, “God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”  Perhaps for you it might be time to stop robbing the owner and start giving and spreading the good news about the greatest blessing to come down from heaven, the Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world.

david ><{(‘>


Comments:

Log in to leave your own comments.
Return to ChannelList All Channels